Skip Main Navigation

Financial Aid Programs

MSJC offers several financial aid programs to assist students with paying for college, each highlighting specific eligibility requirements. Grants are awarded based on financial need and come from either the federal government, State of California or California Student Aid Commission. Please read the information provided below and contact the Financial Aid Office with general questions about available programs. 

Federal Financial Aid Programs

Federal Pell Grants are available to students who have not yet earned a baccalaureate or professional degree and who demonstrate financial need. Your exact award amount will vary based on your needs, the cost of attendance, and if you are a full or part-time student. Your specific award will be prorated if you are enrolled in less than 12 units per semester.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (FSEOG) are open to students who demonstrate exceptional need. Funds for this grant are extremely limited and are provided until all available funds are depleted. To receive this grant award, students are encouraged to apply early and be enrolled in at least 6 Title IV units each semester.

Federal Work Study (FWS) provides students with the opportunity to find on-campus employment and potentially earn up to the amount of FWS funding reflected on their financial aid Offer Letter.  Students need to be enrolled in at least 6 Title IV units to be eligible.  Students must file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) each year and encouraged to answer "yes" to the Federal Work-Study question on the form to be considered for the program.  There is no guarantee that a student will continue to receive work-study awards from one year to the next.  Students should complete the application process early to be considered.  FWS funds are limited.  Students may hold only ONE Federal Work-Study job at a time. 

The goal of student employment is to provide work experience in the students’ field of interest and the needs of the hiring department.  Student employment is classified by two categories: Federal Work Study Student Employment and District Student Employment (Non-Federal).  

Eligibility for Federal Work Study Student Employment

  • Must complete a current year’s FAFSA and encouraged to meet the March 2nd priority filing date. 
  • Be in an eligible Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) status. 
  • Not owe a repayment to any Title IV grant program nor be in default on any Title IV loans received at any institution. 
  • Be a U.S. Citizen or eligible non-citizen, a U.S. National or Permanent Resident.
  • Maintain at least half-time enrollment status (six Title IV units) for each semester employed. 
  • Must also be enrolled primarily for the purpose of pursuing a degree or certificate. 

District Student Employment (Non-Federal)

District Work Study consists of a student being hired in a specific department, utilizing that department’s district funding.  Click here for more information on how to apply for District Student Employment. 

Federal Direct Loans are available to eligible students whose financial needs cannot be met by other sources.  A student must be enrolled in at least 6 Title IV units and complete the financial aid application process to demonstrate eligibility for the loans.  Students are encouraged to apply for scholarships, work-study or other sources that do not require repayment prior to considering loans.  Excessive borrowing can cause hardship for students and may prevent them from completing their education goals.  Please review our Federal Direct Loan Information Guide for more information.

State Financial Aid Programs

The California College Promise Grant (CCPG) is an enrollment fee waiver for California residents or those eligible for AB540 who meet income criteria. Unlike other aid programs, CCPG is not a cash award. To be considered, students must submit their FAFSA/CADAA applications before each summer semester.  If eligible, CCPG covers tuition for fall, spring and summer terms.  You will be responsible for paying other student fees at the time of registration or risk being dropped from your courses.

To Apply:

The primary application for CCPG is the 2023-24 FAFSA or 2023-24 CADAA.

  • Once your FAFSA or CADAA is received, CCPG will be automatically awarded to eligible students based on the information provided in the primary application.
  • You can view your award information on your Offer Letter in the Financial Aid section of your SelfService account.
  • You must apply for CCPG using the FAFSA or CADAA before each summer semester. The applications are available beginning October 1st prior to the summer semester.
    • The 2023-2024 California College Promise Grant covers Summer 2023, Fall 2023, and Spring 2024.
  • If you have been determined to be eligible for the CCPG after you have paid your fees during the current semester, you may be entitled to a refund.
  • A refund will be automatically processed for all applicable prior semesters.
  • Refunds will be issued in the original form payment was received within 30 days.

CCPG eligibility may be impacted by academic standing. Please note that Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) for California College Promise Grant Fee Waiver eligibility is different from SAP eligibility standards for
Federal and State aid programs.  If a student is placed on academic/progress probation/dismissal for two consecutive terms, they will be deemed ineligible for a CCPG waiver the following term. 

If you received a CCPG based on your initial FAFSA or CA Dream Act application, but are later determined ineligible, you will need to pay any incurred registration fees.  

*If you have been determined a non-resident student, non-resident tuition is considerably higher than in-state tuition. Therefore, payment plan options are available. Once you have registered for classes, you must visit the Enrollment Services office prior to the payment deadline to set up a payment plan. Unless you are approved for Financial Aid, a 25% deposit of tuition is required at the time your payment plan is setup. Please come prepared to pay this amount.

Cal Grants are state grants administered by the California Student Aid Commission (CSAC) for California residents/eligible AB 540 students to assist them in paying their education expenses at any qualifying college or institution.  

Cal Grant A assists with tuition and fees at California Community colleges, public and private 4 year colleges, as well as some private career colleges.

Cal Grant B assist low-income students attending community colleges with living expenses and books.  The award amount varies each year and may be used for books, living expenses and transportation.

Cal Grant C assist with students with tuition and training costs for technical, occupational, vocational, or career training programs.  Awards vary each year and funding is available for up to two years, depending upon the length of the program. 

  • To qualify, you must enroll in an occupational, technical, or vocational program that is at least four months long at a California community college.  To find out more information, visit

Students with Dependent Children (SWD)-Cal Grant students attending a University of California, California State University, or California Community College campus who have dependent children may be eligible for an access award of up to $6,000.  The Students with Dependent Children (SWD) Grant increases the Cal Grant award by up to $6,000 for qualifying Cal Grant A and B recipients and up to $4,000 for qualifying Cal Grant C recipients.

  • To qualify, the student must have dependent children that are under 18 years of age for whom they provide more than half of their financial support during the academic year.

To be eligible, students are encouraged to apply by the deadline and be enrolled in at least 6 Title IV units.  Awards will be prorated if a student is enrolled in less than 12 Title IV units each semester. 

Cal Grant awards, are typically limited to four academic years.  Students are encouraged to complete 15 units per semester or 30 semester units per academic year to receive Cal Grant for their entire program.

Students who have filed their most recent FAFSA or California Dream Application can go online and check the status of their Cal Grant application by logging onto the WebGrants for Students and creating an account. The site allows you check on your Cal Grant application, update your address, view payment history, and inform MSJC of your intent to change schools.

For more information on the specific types of Cal Grant awards or for more information about CSAC programs, please visit the California Student Aid Commission.

Foster Youth

You may be eligible to apply for a Chafee Grant. The California Chafee Grant Program gives money to Foster Youth and former Foster Youth to use for vocational training or college courses. The Chafee Grant program, also known as the Educational and Training Voucher (ETV), is a federal and state funded program and is subject to the availability of funds each year. The student must have been a Foster Youth between the ages of 16 to 18. The student must be under the age of 26 and have been eligible to receive services from the Department of Social Services Independent Living Program (ILP). Award amounts are based on need. Applications can be submitted online at California Chafee Grant Application. Jump

Chafee Grant Program

What is Chafee?

The Chafee Grant Program, also known as the Educational and Training Voucher (ETV), is a federal and state funded program and is subject to the availability of funds each year.  You may qualify for up to $5,000 a year for career and technical training or college courses. You don't have to pay this money back.  You may also be able to use your grant to help pay for child care, transportation and rent while you're in school.


Chafee Grant Program Eligibility Requirements:

To qualify, you must meet the following criteria:

  • Be a current or former foster youth who was a dependent or ward of the court, living in foster care, between the ages of 16 and 18
  • If you are/were in Kin-GAP, a non-related legal guardianship or were adopted, are eligible only if you were a dependent or ward of the court, living in foster care, between the ages of 16 and 18
  • Have not reached your 26th birthday as of July 1st of the award year
  • Have not participated in program for more than 5 years (whether or not consecutive)

Application Process

How do I apply? 

To be considered for a California Chafee Grant, you must complete the following:


What happens after I apply?

  • The Commission will review your FAFSA or CADAA and Chafee Grant Application
  • The California Department of Social Services (CDSS) may verify your foster status.  If CDSS is not able to verify your status, please complete the Foster Care Eligibility Certification Form and mail it
  • Once all of the above is completed, the Commission will send you an email message if you are selected for an award
  • The MSJC Chafee Grant Coordinator will verify payment eligibility and will request payment
  • If you are eligible for a Chafee Grant check, it may take 4-6 weeks for the school to receive the check
  • The school will contact you when the check is ready for pick-up
  • If you applied for a Chafee Grant, go to WebGrants for Students to check the status of your application

Receiving Chafee Funds

You must:

  • Be enrolled at least half time
  • Enroll in a program at least one academic year long
  • Maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)
  • Demonstrate Financial Need

Renewing My Chafee Grant

  • If you receive a Chafee Grant, it may be renewed through your 26th birthday as of July 1st of the award year
  • You don't need to reapply for a Chafee Grant each year, however you must submit a FAFSA or CADAA

Awarding Process

Once your application is received by the California Student Aid Commission (CSAC) it is sorted by application date, and awards are offered based on the following priority selection criteria below:

  1. Paid renewal** students who have not reached their 26th birthday as of July 1st of the award year
  2. New and non-paid renewal*** students who will be 25 years old as of July 1st of the award year
  3. New and non-paid renewal students who have dependents
  4. New and non-paid renewal students who have an unmet need of $5,000 or more
  5. New and non-paid renewal students who have an unmet need of less than $5,000

**Students who have received a Chafee payment

***Students who have not received a Chafee payment

Upon selection for an award, students are sent payment notifications for each term.

The majority of Chafee Grant awards are initiated during the Fall term and additional awards are offered year round based on available Federal and State funding each year.



MSJC Foster Youth District Liaison
Guiding Light Program


MSJC Chafee Grant Program Coordinator
Araceli Higuera: (951) 487-3241


California Student Aid Commission
Specialized Programs Operations Branch
California Chafee Grant Program
P.O. Box 419027
Rancho Cordova, CA 95741-9027
E-mail your questions to
Call toll free 1-888-224-7268 (option 3) |916-464-7977 (fax)
Monday through Friday from 8:00 am to 4:45 pm (PST)

Student Success Completion Grants provide students with supplemental financial aid to help offset the total cost of community college attendance and encourage full-time enrollment and successful on-time program completion. The Student Success Completion Grant offers $4,000 per semester for students taking 15 or more units, and $1,298 per semester for students taking 12-14.9 units. To qualify, students need to be eligible for a Cal Grant B or C award, meet satisfactory academic progress (SAP), have an unmet financial need, and maintain full-time attendance.  

The California DREAM Act Service Incentive Grant program encourages California Dream Act Application (CADAA) students with a Cal Grant B award to perform community or volunteer service.  The California Student Aid Commission (CSAC) will award up to $4,500 per academic year (up to $2,250 per semester or up to $1,500 per quarter) to 1,667 students.  The grant will be available to the student for up to 8 semesters or up to 12 quarters while they have an active Cal Grant A or B award.  Students must also meet Satisfactory Academic Progress and complete any necessary verification for their Cal Grant award. 

Eligible students must apply annually, attend a qualifying institution, have sufficient unmet financial need, and complete community or volunteer service hours in that academic year. Students shall perform at least 150 hours per semester or 100 hours per quarter of community or volunteer service.

For more information regarding this program, please visit the California Student Aid Commission.

The Learning Aligned Employment Program (LAEP) is an initiative in partnership with the California Student Aid Commission to help increase the number of students that find quality, paid internships in their field of study. LAEP provides Mt. San Jacinto College students with opportunities to earn money to help pay their educational costs while gaining career-related experience in their fields of study, career objective, or the exploration of career objectives. This work-based learning experience will allow students to apply what they are learning in the classroom and put it into practice in real industry settings.

For more information on LAEP see Career Education.

The MSJC Foundation, off-campus agencies, and donors all award scholarships to students. Each available scholarship requires students to fill out a separate application, in addition to their financial aid.  Eligibility and enrollment requirements will vary by donor. Visit the MSJC Scholarship site for more information.

Students and donors may send scholarship checks to the following address:

Mt. San Jacinto College
Attn: Business Services
41888 Motor Car Parkway
Temecula, CA 92591

The MSJC Promise removes a major financial barrier to attending college by providing first-time, full-time students with FREE tuition.*


Financial Aid Office Hours
Monday – Thursday: 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Friday: Closed
*In-person services for Financial Aid only available at the Menifee Valley Campus
Reach us by phone at 951-465-7891 or email