Skip Main Navigation

Counseling Frequently Asked Questions

If you completed the prerequistie at another college or with AP scores, visit the Counseling Lobby. A counselor will be happy to clear the prerequisite. 

You will be required to share unofficial copies of a transcript from the other college or AP score that can show proof that you completed the prerequisite. 

Yes, you can attend MSJC if you meet any one of the following criteria:

  • Have graduated from high school or

  • Have passed the California High School Proficiency Exam or

  • Have passed the GED examination or

  • Did not graduate from high school but are 18 years of age or older

  • Are an eligible high school student who has satisfied concurrent enrollment admissions requirements

  • Are an international student who has satisfied specific international student admissions requirements.

No, you don't need an appointment to meet with a counselor.  The virtal Counseling Lobby has counselors available to help students with quick questions and is available daily Monday - Thursday 8:00am to 5:00pm and Friday from 8:00am - noon. (During the summer semester we are closed on Friday). 

Yes, you do need an appointment if you need to make a comprehensive educational plan or assistance with a  Satisfactory Academic Petition (SAP -Financial Aid document).  Counseling appointments can be scheduled up to two weeks in advance and new appointment slots open up every morning.

Student Education Plan is a semester by semester plan that includes the courses need for a student to complete their educational goal at MSJC.  To create an SEP, a student will need to make an appointment with a counselor.  

The length of time will depend on how many units a student completes each semester.  A degree requires general education requirements, major course requirements and a total of 60 degree applicable or transferable units.  A counselor can help determine how long it will take to complete a students educational goal. 

Yes, after a student has completed a MSJC online application, they should request official electronic transcripts from their other college to be sent to MSJC.  All other college transcripts will need to be on file before a student receives financial aid assistance and/or become eligible for a degree.

Yes, high school transcripts are required for the following reasons ...

  • Verifying graduation-diploma or GED if you're under the age of 18

  • Show proof that a student completed a foreign language in high school

  • If a student completed a class that will meet a prerequisite

For fall and spring semesters, it is 12 units.  For summer, is 6 units (not for financial aid purposes)

You are not required by the college to take a minimum number of units each term. The number of units you take will depend on several factors; such as:

  • The number of hours you are employed each week

  • Your degree/certificate objectives

  • Your own timetable for graduation and/or transfer.

There are also eligibility requirements if you are receiving financial aid, veteran benefits, or other kinds of benefits. Counselors are available to help you decide how many units to take or are required.

You may register online via Self-Service. If the class is closed or has already started, you must get an add authorization from the instructor.

You will need to go to and log in to have the scores mailed directly to one of our Mt. San Jacinto College campuses (San Jacinto Campus, Menifee Valley Campus, Temecula Valley Campus). 
After you complete 12 units with a 2.0 GPA, then you will want to submit a General Student Petition to under Enrollment Services - secure documents. 
If you need a pre-requisite clearance, you need to provide a copy of your AP scores to a Counselor. You will need to go to and then click on Counseling and then enter the virtual lobby. A Counselor will be able to assist you in getting the hold cleared.

You are responsible to drop your class(es) on Self-Service. Print a copy of the withdrawal for your records. Do not assume that instructors will automatically drop you for non-attendance. Check the schedule for withdrawal dates.