First Year Experience at MSJC
Mt. San Jacinto College’s First Year Experience (FYE) is designed to make sure all first-time students have a successful transition into college life. We provide first-year students with extra support through strategic programming that focuses on positive academic transitions and the development of their educational planning during the on-boarding process. FYE is here to help you connect with the college and identify a degree path that leads to a degree completion or transfer.
Through partnerships with faculty, staff, and students, FYE creates the space for students to define how they will engage, learn, and thrive at MSJC. Equity and Social Justice are a high priority at MSJC and the FYE experience at Mt. San Jacinto College is committed in providing a welcoming and inclusive environment so that all first-time students have the opportunity to grow, learn and lead at MSJC and beyond.
Any first-time college student can become part of the First Year Experience! Previous dual or concurrent enrollment students who took courses through MSJC are welcome to apply. Students with incoming transferring units are not considered first time college students.
*Note: First Year Experience will no longer require students to submit an application, rather students will be required to complete the New Student Enrollment Steps, attend a First Semester Planning Session, and lastly sign up and attend Summer Bridge through our FYE website. For more details on these requirements, please visit our FYE Steps to Enroll page.
To join FYE, you must complete the following steps:
- Apply to MSJC and begin the New Student Enrollment Steps
- Steps found within the link above can be found at msjc.edu/ENROLL.
- Attend a First-Semester Planning Session
- At the First-Semester Planning Session, Counseling will provide you with your first semester of classes for your educational plan, identify the math/English courses right for you, learn about resources, and identify your next steps.
- Sign up and attend a 1-Day Summer Bridge that will be offered from April 15th-June
- Students interested in FYE are required to attend Summer Bridge in order to receive early registration, please review the list of dates and times on our Summer Bridge tab.
- Begin your JOURNEY at MSJC!
If you have any questions, do not hesitate to reach us at email@example.com
First Year Experience has a diverse number of benefits that will allow students to be successful during their first two semesters at Mt. San Jacinto College, these benefits include:
- Early Registration for all MSJC classes to assist with enrolling in desired courses.
- Summer Bridge, a special event designed to enhance your transition to college.
- Pathway Counseling, help connect students with academic planning, personal, and career development counseling.
- Milestones, tracking personal academic and career goals, to help you stay on track.
- Pathway and Career Workshops or Events, to keep you engaged and focused during your first year.
- FREE Academic and Library Support, tutoring, embedded tutoring, Supplemental Instruction to ensure you are successful.
First time college students who are applying to MSJC with no previous college credits (with the exception of dual enrollment or concurrent enrollment) are encouraged to participate in FYE.
Students who accumulated credits at either MSJC or another college in the past and are now returning to MSJC are not considered first-year students. To learn more about steps you need to complete as a Returning Student, please visit msjc.edu/apply.
If you would like to stop by to connect with our FYE team, you can stop by the San Jacinto Campus in room 1253 or Menifee Valley Campus in room 100 (Counseling Office).
Our office hours are Monday through Thursday from 8:00am-5:00pm.
“My good start at MSJC was because of the FYE program. I was able to get the classes I needed, meet with my counselor, and make an ed. plan for my two years at MSJC.” - David Nampi
"As a student who was making the transition from high school to college, the FYE program gave me a foundation for success by getting the classes I needed, helping me meet with a counselor, and creating an educational plan for my two years at MSJC. I cannot thank the FYE program enough for helping me transfer into a university to finish my remaining two years." - Roberto Macias
“When I heard about the First Year Experience Program during the summer right before I was about to start my first semester ever at college, I was very interested in the program because I heard that it helped first year students manage how to get through the scary first year of college. Within joining this program, it was very beneficial for me because the counselors, such as Mrs. Diana Serrano were very helpful for me because coming into college, I really did not know what I wanted to do in life. Being my FYE counselor, Mrs. Serrano always helped guide me with education plans and career path options. My time in the FYE program was very fun and beneficial, and it really helped me through the first-year jitters of college.” - Daemon Abubo
The First Year Experience can be contacted via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
You can also follow FYE on Instagram. Our handle is @msjcfye.